Re: Bash 3.0 packaging problems

> 1) The info file is missing. Running "cygcheck -l bash" on bash 2.05 lists
> "/usr/share/info/bash.info" but is not found in the bash 3.0 package.
> /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/bash-3.0.README suggest an info file should be
> included.

Acknowledged.  I'll have to see why it disappeared, especially since
the original tarball includes it.  I'll also see about building the builtins.1
man page, and creating links for all builtins not also covered by
programs (ie. exit.1 would point to builtins.1, but false.1 is already
claimed by coreutils).

> 2) The package scripts don't seem to remove /bin/bash as /bin/sh when
>    downgrading to an older version. I would expect that either /bin/sh
>    would be be replaced with ash, or the new (downgraded) bash version.
>    - Run setup to upgrade to bash 3.0
>    - Run setup to downgrade bash back to 2.05:

It's a known problem that the bash preremove script is useless in
the current version of setup.exe (see
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2005-07/msg00114.html).  As
to downgrading, you must also downgrade the ash package to get
/bin/sh to be ash again via setup.exe.  Or, just hand-copy /bin/ash.exe
from the new ash over /bin/sh.exe (of course, you have to do this from
bash or from Windows explorer, and not from sh, since you can't overwrite
a running executable).

--
Eric Blake
volunteer cygwin bash maintainer