Re: Perl Win32::Shortcut screws up fork

"Adye, TJ (Tim)" wrote:

> % rebaseall
> ReBaseImage (/usr/bin/cygiconv-2.dll) failed with last error = 6
>
> cygiconv-2.dll is used by bash, but rebaseall is a bash script. What can
> I do?

This is a problem with the new bash version 3.0, which is dynamically
linked to the readline, libiconv, and ncurses DLLs:

  C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
    C:\WINXP\System32\ADVAPI32.DLL
      C:\WINXP\System32\ntdll.dll
      C:\WINXP\System32\KERNEL32.dll
      C:\WINXP\System32\RPCRT4.dll
  C:\cygwin\bin\cygintl-3.dll
    C:\cygwin\bin\cygiconv-2.dll
  C:\cygwin\bin\cygreadline6.dll
    C:\cygwin\bin\cygncurses-8.dll
    C:\WINXP\System32\USER32.dll
      C:\WINXP\System32\GDI32.dll

The prior version of bash, 2.05b-17, is statically linked:

  C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
    C:\WINXP\System32\ADVAPI32.DLL
      C:\WINXP\System32\ntdll.dll
      C:\WINXP\System32\KERNEL32.dll
      C:\WINXP\System32\RPCRT4.dll
  C:\WINXP\System32\USER32.dll
    C:\WINXP\System32\GDI32.dll

This presents a somewhat serious problem for the rebaseall script.  It
can be modified to exclude cyg{intl-3,iconv-2,readline6,ncurses-8}.dll
but that is not a very good solution, because it means they will not be
rebased.  These DLLs unfortunately are used by lots of programs and I
fear not rebasing them is a poor solution.

I think we will require a statically linked bash, or some kind of
trickery in the rebaseall script.  One potential way around this might
be for it to output a .cmd file (or .bat under 9x, grrr) and then exec()
$COMSPEC to run the commands.  This would have the advantage of not
requiring any Cygwin DLLs in use during the rebase, but it sounds more
error prone and complicated.

Brian