Re: The perils of editing .bashrc

> Is it advisable to edit one's .bashrc? I'd like to put in a bunch of
> customizations, aliases, etc., but I'm intimidated by the message
> saying that my .bashrc will not be updated by setup.exe if I modify
> it. Does this mean that I'll have to put in changes for new programs
> manually? If so, how can I customize my shell without losing
> setup.exe's automation?

I'm not familiar with that message from setup, but your .bashrc is yours, to
do with as you please.  By all means, customize it to create a shell
environment to your liking.

setup should _never_ mess with your ~/.bashrc.  That file belongs to you.
Setup may adjust /etc/profile and /etc/bash.bashrc, which provide the
system-wide defaults that get executed before your .bashrc.

See also the bash man page, "INVOCATION", to see which system and user
startup files get executed in what order.

Good luck,
Andrew.