Re: Cygwin and zsh...

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Spack wrote:

I've tried to change the default shell (bash) to zsh by changing the
appropriated line in the /etc/passwd file but when I reload cygwin I'm
always on bash. How can I change the default shell ?

The stock startup script (cygwin.bat) has bash hardcoded in it, so if you're starting it from the icon, that's why. If you're starting it from some other method, well, you'll have to give a little more info on that first (my mind reading skills are a little rusty :)

You can create zsh icons using the mkzsh command, if you don't want to
modify the stock Cywin script.  Run mkzsh to get a list of options, then
run it again with options to create zsh scripts.  Of course, you can
simply copy cygwin.bat and modify that to your hearts content.

PS: I've installed zsh but I've not looking for the /etc/shells file.

Ok, so what are you expecting to find in /etc/shells and how does that relate to you running your shell of choice?

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>