Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: bash-3.0-7

> I just installed bash 3.0-7 and immediately noticed my colors where gone and
> my delete key no longer worked.
>
> Anyways I'm a bit clueless but it seems something wierd is happening to ~
> I can verify my profile is executed and my .bash_profile and .bashrc are
> not.

Well, if your .bash_profile and .bashrc set your colors and tty settings,
and they aren't being invoked, that explains the first complaint.  As to
why they aren't invoked, you can blame that on bash not finding
~/.bash_profile due to the ~ expansion problems.  But the ~ expansion
problems is baffling me.

'man bash' states that tilde expansion (as well as the default location
of 'cd' with no arguments) is the $HOME variable if set, else the home
directory of the current login name (as determined from /etc/passwd).

Furthermore, /etc/profile states that cygwin sets HOME on startup,
based on the first working alternative of Windows HOME, /etc/passwd,
Windows HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH, or /.

All I can do is guess that $HOME was set incorrectly by cygwin when
you first log in, bash cached that incorrect value, and that it gets
corrected later on in the setup files before where you displayed
your environment.

What does "echo $HOME ~" print?  What does "pwd" print, both
before and after the troublesome "cd ~"?  Do you have HOME set in
a Windows environment variable?  What does
"grep jlambert /etc/passwd" print?  How about "env | grep ^HOME"?

Also, take a look at http://cygwin.com/problems.html, to provide more
information that might be useful in tracking this down.

--
Eric Blake
cygwin bash maintainer