Bash 2.05 vs. 3.0 Prompt Behavior

I updated my Cygwin installation this morning and picked up the new
version of Bash (3.0-7).  When I started a new shell (running under
rxvt) I was suprised to see that my prompt displayed differently than
before the upgrade.  I use the following prompt

    PS1='\[\e]0;${WINDOW_TITLE}\u@\h \w\a\]\u@\h\$ '

The difference is the display of the portion that is not put in the
title bar, with Bash 2.05 the prompt was (ignoring the tick marks, which
are only included to the trailing whitespace) 'pds@whangarei$ ', while
with Bash 3.0 the prompt is 'pds@whangarei$  '.  Note the extra space at
the end with 3.0.  If I remove the space, the dollar sign is doubled,
i.e. 'pds@whangarei$$', if I replace the last space in the PS1 value
with someother character, then that character is doubled.

I do not see this behavior if I use the default value of PS1 from
/etc/profile.

I have tried googling 'bash 3.0 prompt' and did not find any obvious
help.  Has anybody else seen this behavior?

-Peter