Re: chmod suddenly ceased to work on old files - AFTER CYGWIN UPDATE

On 05/07/05, FischRon wrote:

> Actually I wasn't able to use "-d" with mkpasswd, because this command
> hung, so I did a "mkpasswd -l >/etc/passwd" instead. Maybe I should
> rerun mkgroup -l (without -d option)?

Really hung, or just taking a very very long time (it will, if it is a
large domain)?
If the latter, you could try using the -c and/or -u options to
mkpasswd to only get the information for a subset of the users (ie
just the ones who use your machine). Or construct the /etc/passwd file
by hand if you know what you're doing....

> But in any case, recreating the /etc/group file did nothing to remedy
> my problem.

What kind of server are these files on? If it is a SAMBA share (on eg
linux, as opposed to a SMB share from WinNT), then maybe this message
is helpful:

Otherwise if it is an SMB share, maybe you need to give your accounts
(both locally and on the server) the "restore files and directories"
(SeRestorePrivilege) privilege, which may not be practical as its a
security hole. Though from reading the mailing list archives it seems
that so long as the machines are part of a domain and your user
account is a domain account, then this is supposed to be unnecessary.

Finally, you could always set the CYGWIN environment variable to
include 'nosmbntsec' to switch off all use of ntsec on shares.

Lev