Re: Problem installing cygwin - no PATH, mounts, /etc/passwd ...

Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> writes:

> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Dave Korn wrote:
[...]
>> Found: C:\Cygwin\bin\cp.exe
>> Found: C:\Utils\GnuWin32\bin\cp.exe
>> Warning: C:\Cygwin\bin\cp.exe hides C:\Utils\GnuWin32\bin\cp.exe
> [snip more of the same]
>> Not Found: sh
>
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>> --------------------------------snip--------------------------------
>>
>>   Shoulda removed the ages-old GnuWin32 install as well, I reckon!  All
>> those incorrect versions of command line utilities will have made a
>> hideous botch of running the postinstall scripts, and will mess up the
>> /etc/profile and ~/.bashrc and other startup scripts, and will be
>> interfering with pretty much everything you do when you try to use the
>> cygwin install...

Hmm, I could be offended by that :-) The GnuWin32 stuff is not
"ages-old", it's right up to date. Also, I have it on my other
machine at home (which worked) so I don't see how it could be the
issue. And finally, as Igor mentions below, my reading of the output
is that the cygwin stuff overrides the GnuWin32 stuff, so that the
existence of GnuWin32 shouldn't affect it.

Nevertheless, I did try removing GnuWin32 (removed it from PATH, and
temporarily renamed the directory as well), but it made no
difference. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

> I don't see why it should.  Setup does prepend the Cygwin /bin and
> /usr/bin directories to the PATH (see init_run_script in script.cc), so
> the Cygwin versions should be picked up by the postinstall scripts.
>
> I'd be much more concerned about the "Not found: sh" line above (marked
> with '!'s).  Did the OP unselect "ash" when installing Cygwin?  Since he
> did "Install from Local Directory", was the ash tarball corrupted or
> missing?

*That's* the problem. For some reason, my local directory wasn't
complete. I could swear that when I downloaded it, setup.exe
completed without any warnings or error messages, but obviously
something went wrong. Whatever it was, when I did a reinstall from the
net plus the local cache, everything worked fine.

Thanks very much for taking the time to diagnose what turned out to
be dumb user error.

Paul.
--
This signature intentionally left blank