RE: Exiting Emacs (Attn: User's Guide maintainer)

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Nick Kirchner wrote:
> >
> >> I just installed Cygwin on my Windows 98 computer and tried playing
> >> around with Emacs. Having toyed with it a little in the past, I know
> >> that C-x C-c is supposed to exit the program. As you may have
> >> guessed, C-x C-c did nothing other than beep.
> >>
> >> What exactly is going wrong here?
> >
> > As mentioned in the announcement
> > (<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2004-04/msg00000.html>), you
> > need to have "tty" in your CYGWIN environment variable.  This needs
> > to be set *before* the shell is started, so good places would be
> > /Cygwin.bat or the system environment (i.e., don't do this in shell
> > startup files).
>
> Does this apply to using (X)Emacs under X?

Good question.  No, it doesn't.  As should be described in the User's
Guide[1], the 'tty' setting in $CYGWIN serves only to compensate for the
deficiencies of the Windows console terminal handling (Ctrl-C and NUL).
If emacs is invoked in any terminal other than the cmd.exe "console"
(e.g., rxvt, or xterm), no special settings are needed.  Neither does this
apply to windowed modes of emacs, which do their own keyboard input
handling.
	Igor
[1] <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html>
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT