man.conf missing after cygwin upgrade

After upgrading cygwin to the most recent version, I found that man
pages
aren't displayed anymore; for example

  $ man man
  Warning: cannot open configuration file /usr/share/misc/man.conf

Then I saw that my MANPATH looks strange:

  $ echo MANPATH
  :/usr/ssl/man

Note the leading column, which looks as if some part of the MANPATH has
been
cut off. I fixed this by manually adjusting the MANPATH:

  $ export MANPATH=/usr/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/ssl/man
  $ man man

Now it does display the man-page, but before this it also writes the
aforementioned error message. Next I did

  $ /usr/sbin/makewhatis
  $ man -k shell

Now I get that error message *twice* (but then man -k displays an
overview
of the available shell commands, as expected). Now I checked
/usr/share/misc
and found that it has permissions 000. I chmod the permissions to 0777.
Also I found that /usr/share/misc is empty, i.e. there is no file
man.conf
in it.

I checked the man-page for man.conf, but there was no hint how this file
usually is generated.

Of course I can live with this bug, since man eventually seems to do its
job.
Still I'm curious what is going wrong here. Any ideas?

Ronald
--
Ronald Fischer
Infineon Technologies AG