RE: dlopen does not search the path

Hi Chris,

Following your announcement in the cygwin-1.5.18-1 update

> cgf: Fix bug which stopped dlopen() from using standard Windows
> mechanism for finding a DLL.

I can confirm that my problem is now fixed.

Thanks!

Tim.

On 2 June 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 12:33:55AM +0100, Adye, TJ (Tim) wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >On 26 May 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >
> >> I've made a new version of the Cygwin DLL and associated utilities
> >> available for download.  As usual, a list of what has changed
> >> is below.
> >> [...]
> >
> >> cgf: Make dlopen search /usr/bin (for Windows compatibility)
> >> and /usr/lib (for UNIX compatibility).
> >
> >The change seems to be a bit more drastic than that implies to me. I
> >believe that previously dlopen searched $PATH before, but it
> doesn't any
> >more.
> >
> >I have a Cygwin program that loads a Windows DLL
> (afsauthent.dll) that
> >it used to find via the $PATH (found in C:\Program
> Files\OpenAFS\Common,
> >which OpenAFS adds to the Windows PATH, and is inherited by Cygwin).
> >That stopped working recently (Win32 error 126), probably
> when I updated
> >to cygwin-1.5.17-1 (I can check if this is in any doubt).
> >
> >I can get it working again if I add /cygdrive/c/Program
> >Files/OpenAFS/Common to $LD_LIBRARY_PATH by hand.
> >
> >Is this change deliberate? I would have thought that "Windows
> >compatibility" ought to include searching the PATH.
>
> It was not deliberate and, in fact, the change in behavior had nothing
> to do with the change to make dlopen search /usr/bin and /usr/lib.  It
> was, however, another change of mine so I still have to take
> the blame.
>
> I've checked in a fix.  It will be in the next snapshot.
>
> cgf

Tim Adye, BaBar Group, Particle Physics Dept.,             _   /|
          Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, UK.              \'o.O'   Oop!
e-mail:   T.J.Adye@rl.ac.uk                                =(___)=  Ack!
WWW:      http://hepwww.rl.ac.uk/Delphi/Adye/homepage.html    U  Thphft!