Re: Qestion about Bash Fork Resource Temporily Unavailable for NS2.28 and NS2.27

Welcome to posting to the ns-users mailing list!

We automatically send this message to every new person who sends mail
to the list.  You should only receive it once.  My apologies if the
program contacts you twice, perhaps because you have multiple e-mail
addresses or send mail from multiple machines.

If you are an experienced ns-user who simply has not posted since we
started using this responder, our apologies for inconveniencing you
with this message.  This message is intended to help inform users and
cut down on redundant posts, which benefits everyone.

Please look at the attached list of ns Frequently Asked Questions.
If it answers your question, great!  You're done.
If not, please RE-SEND your original message to ns-users@isi.edu.
A copy of your original message is included below for reference.

You will NOT have to do re-send your message every time you post, only
the FIRST time you send from a new account.  The goal is to quickly
help new users find the FAQ (hopefully answering their question).

Thanks,
   -the ns development team

            The Network Simulator ns-2: Frequently Asked Questions

   (This FAQ is also on the web at
   http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-faq.html.)

     * _Where do I get ns?_

       From the ns web site at http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns.html and
       the download page http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-tests.html.

     * _What platforms does ns run on and what kind of hardware do I
       need?_

       Please see "where to start" on the building ns web page:
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-build.html#start.

     * _What should I do if I have trouble downloading/extracting ns?_

       This question is answered in detail at
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-problems.html#downloading.

     * _What should I do if I encounter problems building ns?_

       Check:
         1. the README that comes in the distribution (very brief),
         2. the "installation problems, bug fixes and help" web page
            http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-problems.html,
         3. the archives of the ns-users mailing list
            http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-lists.html,
         4. post a bug report (see below)
            http://www.isi.edu/cgi-bin/nsnam/reportbug.cgi.

     * _What do I do after I successfully build ns?_

          + Put the path to your ns executable into your PATH environment
          + Put the path to your otcl into your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
            environment
          + Put the path to your tcl library into your TCL_LIBRARY
            environment

     * _Where can I find documentation for ns?_

       All documentation is linked from the main ns web page
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/. Documentation includes a tutorial
       (originally from Marc Greis) and a reference manual (ns notes and
       documentation).

     * _Words, words, words... that documentation is nice, but where are
       some sample scripts I can start from?_

       Many sample scripts can be found in the ns distribution in
       ~ns-2/tcl/ex and ~ns-2/tcl/test.

     * _What protocols does ns support?_

       A lot! Almost all variants of TCP, several forms of multicast,
       wired networking, several ad hoc routing protocols and propagation
       models (but not cellular phones), data diffusion, satellite, and
       other stuff. See the documentation (described above) for details,
       or download ns and look.

     * _How do I know that ns correctly implements these protocols?_

       Ns has validation tests that cover many protocols, see
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-tests.html. However, ultimately
       users are responsible for verifying that ns is accurate for their
       purposes---since we cannot foresee all the ways ns may be used, we
       cannot test all cases with all inputs.

     * _Are there any contributed/additional protocols not in the main
       distribution?_

       Yes, please see the contributed code web page
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-contributed.html. The mailing list
       archives can also be helpful (see below).

     * _How should I get started doing something (like implementing a new
       protocol or trying an experiment)?_

       We recommend that you look through the tutorial (see
       documentation, above), then start with an example program that is
       most similar to yours (in the tutorial, or in tcl/ex or tcl/test
       in the distribution), and then start changing things.

     * _What should I do to compile ns to reflect my changes if I've
       modified some .cc or .h files?_

       go to ns directory and run "make" or "make depend; make"

     * _How do I subscribe to the ns-users mailing list? How do I search
       old list archives? I can't take any more---how do I get off this
       list?_

       To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-lists.html. The list archive is at
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-lists.html.

     * _What if I have a question that's not answered here?_

       If you've checked the installation problems and bug fixes web page
       (http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-problems.html) and there's no
       answer to your question, you may want to file a bug report or post
       a question to the ns-user's mailing list.

       First, you should check the archive of the list at
       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-lists.html. Your question may
       already be answered there.

       If not, you can post a bug report using the web form at
       http://www.isi.edu/cgi-bin/nsnam/reportbug.cgi.

       If your question is NOT about ns implementation bugs, you may wish
       to post to the list. First you should subscribe. Subscription
       instructions are at http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-lists.html.

       _Please note that mail sent to the list is publicly distributed
       and archived. _If you have concerns about your message being made
       public (spam harvesting of your address), please consider that
       _before_ posting. We cannot remove messages from reciepient's
       mailboxes or the public archive after they're posted.

       When posting bug reports, please _always_ include information
       including at least (the bug report form includes spaces for
       these):
          + what version of ns you're using,
          + what operating system you're running on (not just Linux or
            Solaris, but RedHat version 7.0 or Solaris 2.4---send us the
            output of "uname -a"),
          + what specific behavior you see (if ns doesn't compile, what's
            the specific error; if TCP does something strange, what
            exactly did it do [send a pointer to a packet trace]),
          + what behavior you expected to see (if ns doesn't compile this
            is obvious, but if TCP does something strange, why is it
            strange, where is the TCP spec violated?),
          + pointers to your script detailed output files,
          + a statement that "yes, I've read the FAQ, ns-problems page,
            and manual and I couldn't find the answer there" (or a
            statement about why you didn't do that yet :-)

       A reminder about mailing list etiquette:
          + Please check the web pages and list archives before posting
            your question.
          + Please keep the body of your post to simple ASCII, not HTML.
          + Please do _not_ send large attachments (if what you have is
            bigger than a few kilobytes, put it on a web page and send a
            URL)
          + Before posting a question like "did people see my post" or
            "the list seems down", please check the archives (you can
            answer this question more accurately by checking yourself
            rather than asking).
          + Please don't post subscribe/unsubscribe requests directly to
            the list, use the lists' information page. (see the web page
            mentioned above for details).