Re: Problem with "set," "if," "foreach" commands

I would suggest you get the O'Reilly bash
book, and read your way through that.  What you
are running into are syntax problems.

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:47:41 -0700 (PDT), Han Nguyen wrote:

>New to Unix, so please have patience.

>I understand that I should be able to type
>set food = pickle
>echo $food

bash doesn't use set.  And, when doing variable assignments in
the shell, no spaces are allowed:
food=pickle
echo $food

>But nothing echoes.  It just leaves a blank line, then gives another command prompt.  Am I doing
>anything wrong?

>"If" also doesn't work.  This is what happens:
>$ if (5 > 0)
>> echo "Hello"
>> endif
>>

>And it merely continues that way until I exit the shell.

if  doesn't use parens, it uses square brackets.  And, numeric tests are not
done with greater than/less than/equal symbols, but with -lt, -le, -gt, -ge, -eq
tests.  Spacing is important in the shell also.  And, you have some other syntax
issues:

if [ 5 -gt 0 ] ; then
    echo Hello
fi

>Also a problem with "foreach."  Output:

>$ foreach run (1 2 3)
>bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

>Typing "help set" and "help foreach" gives me:

>$ help foreach
>bash: help: no help topics match `foreach'.  Try `help help' or `man -k foreach' or `info
>foreach'.

In Bash, it's not foreach, but rather
for var in varlist
do
    command $var ...
done

>Anything I can do to resolve this?  I appreciate the help.  Thanks.

I'm not super familiar with csh, but it almost looks to me like you are
using csh commands in a bash shell.  sh/ksh/bash/ash all sort of have
a similar look/feel.  csh is slightly different in it's approach to scripting.
If you want to use the above type syntax, then maybe you could install
the tcsh package, and get the O'Reilly csh/tcsh book.