Problem with "set," "if," "foreach" commands

New to Unix, so please have patience.

I understand that I should be able to type
set food = pickle
echo $food

But nothing echoes.  It just leaves a blank line, then gives another command prompt.  Am I doing
anything wrong?

"If" also doesn't work.  This is what happens:
$ if (5 > 0)
> echo "Hello"
> endif

And it merely continues that way until I exit the shell.

Also a problem with "foreach."  Output:

$ foreach run (1 2 3)
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Typing "help set" and "help foreach" gives me:

$ help foreach
bash: help: no help topics match `foreach'.  Try `help help' or `man -k foreach' or `info
foreach'.

Anything I can do to resolve this?  I appreciate the help.  Thanks.