Re: tar 1.13.25: extracts of files using hardlinks w/i same win32 directory lost

At 03:42 PM 6/29/2005, you wrote:
>tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25
>When I tar xvf tarfile.tar into a NTFS, Win Server 2003, directory all
>files that define hardlinks within the same directory name are lost.  If
>the hardlink is located in another directory, the links appears to work.
>When watching the extraction, the files appear to be extracted but when
>the linking file is extracted a missing link message is displayed and
>the original file is deleted.  The example that I have is that a
>directory of runtime objects needs to be described in upper and lower
>case.  This is accomplished thru hardlinks.  After the extract completes
>no files exists because each linked file deleted its associated file.

Windows doesn't support more than one file of the same name, differing
only by case, in the same directory.  Windows is case-preserving, not
case-sensitive.  If you absolutely need this functionality, see 'man
mount' and check out the description of "managed".  You can only use
this option on new (empty) directories.  It is not possible to turn a
populated existing directory into a "managed mount".

Holliston, MA 01746