RE: Connection closed message when trying to connect with sftp using public key authentication to OpenSSH 3.7.1p2 on Windows 2003 Server

I have downloaded and tested 4.1p1-1 and all is now working just fine.
The key lessons for me were:

1. Yes, use privilege separation as that seems to work just fine. It
creates a user called sshd to run the non-privileged operations.
2. If you want to use a pre-existing user to own the sshd service,
ensure that it has the following privileges:

* Adjust memory quotas for a process
* Create a token object
* Logon as a service
* Replace a process level token

These privileges should be set using the "Domain Controller Security
Settings" utility (go to Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment).

The user must also have Administrator rights on the server. It should
also have ownership of the following files:

/etc/ssh_host*
/var/empty

Many thanks for your help.