Re: gcc 3.4.4 optimization problem (was Re: Negative stats from rsync with 20050610 snapshot)

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 11:33:08AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>I see.  It seems the 3.4.x code is just assuming a bit too much when
>examining functions, whereas the 4.x implementation is a bit more careful.

AFAICT, the code was just plain wrong with gcc 3.4.4.  However, I found a bug
report where someone was reporting a similar problem and the reply was "Well,
you had aliasing problems.  What woudl you expect?" and, indeed, fixing the
aliasing problems seemed to fix the code generation problem.

It still is troubling that gcc 3.4.4 ended up using a completely wrong
place on the stack for a variable (after changing a static function to
an inline function).

cgf