Re: nedit 5.4 and 5.5 - locale not supported problem

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 12:09 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: nedit 5.4 and 5.5 - locale not supported problem

Hello,

I am trying to use nedit 5.5 or 5.4 with locale "pl" but I have encountered problem, which I cannot solve.
The nedit reports "locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged" and in fact I cannot enter the locale specific characters. All existing documents are displayed correctly in the nedit. Problem is only with text typing.

$ nedit -V
locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged NEdit 5.5 Sep 30, 2004

Built on: Win32, 386, GNU C
Built at: Oct 16 2004, 06:48:22
With Motif: 2.1.0 [@(#)GNU/LessTif Version 2.1 Release 0.93.94] Running Motif: 2.1 [unknown]
Server: The Cygwin/X Project 60802000
Visual: 24-bit TrueColor (ID 0x22, Default)
Locale: C

I have set variables "LANG=pl_PL" and "LC_ALL=pl_PL". With this configuration I can run and successfully use nedit 5.3. The version is unfortunately the last nedit version I can use without the locale problem.

The runtime requirements, which I have found in nedit package documentation are met. Currently I am using:
cygwin-1.5.17-1
expat-1.95.8-1
lesstif-0.93.94-2
libfontconfig1-2.2.2-1
libfreetype26-2.1.5-1
libXft2-2.1.6-1
xorg-x11-bin-dlls-6.8.2.0-1
zlib-1.2.2-1

I have to mention, that the nedit is the only one application with the locale problem in my Cygwin installation. Could somebody help me, please?

Best regards,
Irek

Unfortunately, Cygwin has never supported C locales, since it uses the newlib C library (which doesn't support them). Are 5.3 and 5.4+ linked differently? See what "cygcheck nedit.exe" says. I don't know why you'd get different results with the older version, since again locales weren't ever supported.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle

Thank you for answer Gary :-)
The nedit 5.3 is probably not from cygwin distribution, but I don't know
from where I downloaded it a few years ago. Probably at that time the
nedit was not yet distributed as a cygwin package.
Do you have any idea how I could start running the nedit 5.5 with locale
support, i.e. how to patch/recompile current sources to be linked as in
version 5.3?

For the nedit 5.3 cygcheck says:

$ cygcheck nedit
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\nedit.exe
C:/cygwin/bin/nedit.exe
  C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\libICE.dll
    C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
      C:\WINNT\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
        C:\WINNT\system32\NTDLL.DLL
        C:\WINNT\system32\KERNEL32.DLL
        C:\WINNT\system32\RPCRT4.DLL
  C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\libSM.dll
  C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\libX11.dll

For the nedit 5.5 cygcheck says (after about 30sek.):

$ cygcheck nedit55
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\nedit55.exe
C:/cygwin/bin/nedit55.exe
  C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygX11-6.dll
    C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
      C:\WINNT\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
        C:\WINNT\system32\NTDLL.DLL
        C:\WINNT\system32\KERNEL32.DLL
        C:\WINNT\system32\RPCRT4.DLL
  C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXm-2.dll
    C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXft-2.dll
      C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXrender-1.dll
      C:\cygwin\bin\cygfontconfig-1.dll
        C:\cygwin\bin\cygexpat-0.dll
        C:\cygwin\bin\cygfreetype-6.dll
          C:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll
    C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXp-6.dll
      C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXext-6.dll
    C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXt-6.dll
      C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygICE-6.dll
      C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygSM-6.dll

Some more information about nedit 5.3, which I use.

$ nedit -V
NEdit 5.3
Jun 1, 2002

    Built on: Unknown, x86, GNU C