Re: Sort - locale: 1.5.16-1 (Attn: coreutils maintainer)

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > The "version" that you mention in the subject just says that you're
> > running Cygwin on Win2k.  It doesn't say anything about the actual
> > version of Cygwin.
> Thanks,sorry: v.1.5.16-1

Still not enough -- did you read the problem reporting guidelines
completely?

> > There's very little support for LOCALE settings in Cygwin.  Some
> > applications will switch the language of the help messages, etc, to
> > the extent gettext() supports it.  I don't believe sort has
> > locale-specific collate support -- the coreutils maintainer might be a
> > better person to answer that.
>
> Thanks again. I am puzzled because I recall that an older version I
> tried a couple of years ago was sorting correctly. This most recent one
> seems to ignore anything related to LC_*

Well, a couple of years ago you would have used the "sort" from fileutils.
It has now been superceded by coreutils.  If you're correct, and it used
to work in fileutils, then this is a regression that the coreutils
maintainer should be aware of.  Eric, are you reading this?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT