Remote operation of programs

I am looking for a tool to operate programs that are already running on Windows, from a script / program.
I would like to have a script / program that will be run before I leave the office, and that will instruct outlook to synchronize and then shutdown, and after that "hibernate" the computer. In that case, when I turn on the laptop I will be able to view my mail offline.
Is there some program/library to python/perl/etc. that enables sending a specific key sequence to an application?
Any other ideas how to implement this, other than writing a specific program in WinAPI?
Thanks