Re: Strange-Dangerous behaviour in Cygwin

I have not changed anything in configuration (I have not "touched" any
thing in " /etc/profile " etc.)

Until some days ago all worked fine. With some upgrades or i do not know
"what" the BACKSPACE does not work correctly in answering at command like
rm -i: it works as a LEFT arrow key. This happens in standard
(cygwin.bat) bash shell and in xterm but NO in RXVT or in DOS box
(CMD.EXE) with c:\cygwin\bin in PATH (i.e. using rm -i in DOS box).

As I wrote, I have reinstalled cygwin using only BASE packages to verify
the strange behaviour.

My settings:

$ stty -a
speed 38400 baud; rows 25; columns 80; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
eol2 = <undef>; swtch = ^Z; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R;
werase = ^W; lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon
-ixoff
-iuclc -ixany -imaxbel
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0
vt0 ff0
isig icanon iexten echo -echoe -echok -echonl -noflsh -tostop -echoctl
-echoke

I get the previous output in standard bash shell, in RXVT and xterm (and
I noted erase=^?).

In standard bash shell:

$ echo $TERM
cygwin

In RXVT and xterm:
$ echo $TERM
xterm

If I type BACKSPACE at prompt (bash, RXVT, xterm) I get a "beep"

If I type

$rm -i foo.txt
rm: remove regular file `foo.txt'?yBAKSPACEn

the cursor is moved left on "y" (or under "y" in standard bash
shell): it does not delete the "y"; then the "n" overwrite the "y" but the
command (rm -i) read the first character typed, so the file 'foo.txt' is
deleted.

I have discovered this strange behaviour with the lost of some (not
important, fortunately) files.

If I type

$ [CTRL-v]BACKSPACE

I get

$ ^H

If I type (using copy paste from your mail)

$ stty erase ^H

then the BACKSPACE work fine (in answering e.g. rm -i)

but

$ stty
speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
-imaxbel
-echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke

Where is "erase = ..."?

closing the shell, the next time I have the previous wrong behaviour of
BACKSPACE!

Should I reimpost "stty erase ..." every time?

However the questions are:

There is a bug in Cygwin?

Have I inadvertently changed something?

How can I adjust?

I have read the replays but I am confused.

Thanks,
angelo.