Solution, possible FAQ entry: make problem: execvp: /bin/sh: Illegal Argument

[This posting is to provide future searchers with a direct hit.]

This problem is (often) due to the command-line being to long for the windows execution model. To circumvent this, mount the path of the executable using the -X switch. For instance, use

mount -f -X c:/cygwin/bin /bin

to enable "cygexec" for all executables in that folder. This will cause cygwin to "talk directly" to another cygwin executable, and the limit disappears (or at least moves).

(You can also disable it for individual files with the -x option. See the mount man page for more information.)

(This took me way too long to find, as I had no idea what to look for. Thanks to Christopher Faylor for mentioning the solution in a posting with *almost* the right topic.)

Additional keywords:
 gcc-4.0.0  *make*: *execvp*: /bin/sh: Argument list too long error 255

OBTW: Is there an official or semi-official cygwin Wiki where one may post these things?

--
jørgen h. seland
jorgen-at-fabeljet-dot-com