Re: mkdir -p and network drives

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Eggert" <eggert@CS.UCLA.EDU>
To: "Eric Blake" <ebb9@byu.net>
Cc: "Pierre A. Humblet" <Pierre.Humblet@ieee.org>; <cygwin@cygwin.com>;
<bug-coreutils@gnu.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 12:35 PM
Subject: Re: mkdir -p and network drives

> Eric Blake <ebb9@byu.net> writes:
>
> > //MACHINE currently generates ENOENT, whether or not there is a
> > server on the network with that name, and mkdir(2), stat(2), and
> > chdir(2) with an argument of "//MACHINE" fail.
>
> That's certainly a hassle.  Let's not worry about going through
> zillions of lines of application code working around that
> incompatibility.  Let's get Cygwin fixed instead.

The minimum required seems to be to have chdir(2) and stat(2) for
// and //MACHINE. Initially stat could report the permissions as x only.
That seems very easy if we don't check the existence of MACHINE.
(After all, any MACHINE could be there. Failures would occur only
when trying to access).
In a later phase the permissions could be rx, in which case readdir(2)
should
work and network scanning becomes necessary.

Pierre