Re: sh.exe coredumps when init.exe is running as service

* On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 04:33:35PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2005, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
>
> > I'm in the process of updating my packages. I just upgraded to
> > cygwin-1.5.16 from 1.5.12.
> >
> > Now whenever I run configure from one of my packages sh.exe segfaults
> > randomly. A fresh installation of cygwin doesn't have this problem.
> >
> > The only difference between the problematic installation and the fresh
> > one is a running cygwin init service from sysvinit-2.84-4. When I stop
> > the init service everything is fine again. (Under cygwin 1.5.12 there
> > was no problem)
> >
> > I can reproduce this problem when ruuning init as service whithout
> > adding any system service with chkconfig --add
> >
> > Is anybody using init and can confirm my findings ?
>
> I'm not using init, but I do observe random crashes of processes
> (sometimes sh.exe, sometimes perl, sometimes others) with not-very-useful
> stackdumps.  I don't have more information at the moment, so didn't report
> this to the list.  It seems to be correlated with heavy memory usage on
> the machine.  I'll post when I have any debugging info.
> 	Igor

At the risk of being a "me too" post -- I don't run init either but
I've experienced the same stackdump problem.

I'm not able to provide much info which is why I've kept quiet
too.  I could not find a pattern on my two W2K machines, same random
stackdumps across almost all apps.

After unsuccessfully doing clean reinstalls of 1.5.14 and 1.5.15 I
gave up, reverted to 1.5.12 and uninstalled cron to stabilize my
systems.

Bob