RE: Bespoke installations: simple elegance of setup.exe when setup.ini is absent

Chris, why are you doing this to yourself?

"Trying to keep [me] honest"?  Please tell the class what part of the
following statement is in any way dishonest:

"As one of the many people responsible for setup, I take issue with the
accusation that it is either "simple" or "elegant". ;-)"

That was the statement I made, in full.  You are now accusing me of
dishonesty in making that statement.  The statement is provably true; in
fact you've inadvertantly admitted that yourself in this very thread.
Twice.  In what way do you erroneously believe the statement to be
dishonest?  On what basis do you accuse me of dishonesty?  Don't wait for
the translation, answer the question.

> just like
> you've been doing for me all of these years.

I do not recall even a single instance of you giving me any reason to
question your honesty.  Until this post.  You are accusing me of dishonesty
in the same post in which you prove the statement in question true.  As near
as I can tell, you are ham-handedly attempting to either:

A. Deflect the attention I have called to your aberrant behavior with even
worse behavior.
B. Discredit me personally by falsely calling into question both my honesty
and my contributions to the Cygwin project.

Which is it Chris?  Or is there a third explanation I'm missing here?

> Surely, you don't mind my taking pot shots at you

Apparently I'm not getting through to you here, Chris, so allow me to
attempt to make this as clear as I possibly can: I mind it when you take pot
shots at *anybody* without cause (or with *negative* cause), which you have
done on a regular basis here for as long as I have been acquainted with you.
Which you have done in the very post I am replying to here.  That is the one
and only problem I have with your behavior here.  Well, the only one I had
until this post anyway.

It is painfully obvious you are not unaware that the snide comments I call
you on are inappropriate either.  Every single time me or anybody else calls
you on them, there's a sudden (completely coincidental I'm sure) burst of
civil and helpful replies from you to posts which, just prior to the
admonition, would have at best been ignored by you, and at worst gotten the
same childish, rude treatment.  Don't even try to claim you don't notice
that pattern, nor that you didn't do exactly that after this current
"mkstemp" instance.

What is not at all obvious to me is why you insist on behaving in this
manner.  It gains you nothing but a reputation as a jerk.  It's not like
there's some sort of shortage of *appropriate* opportunities to behave in
such a fashion.  Most importantly to me, it can only serve to discourage
people from contributing to the Cygwin project.

But all that is for another thread.  The issue currently at hand is your
false accusations of dishonesty on my part.

> whenever I
> think you've done something wrong do you?

Again, please tell me, and the rest of the community, what exactly it is
that you believe warrants calling me a liar in this forum.

>  How could you
> possibly mind that?

As somebody falsely accused of dishonesty by you, Chris, how could I not
mind it?  I don't like being falsely accused of lying any more than you like
being rightfully accused of making uncalled-for rude comments.

I impatiently await your public explanation, if not retraction, if not
apology, for this disturbing new low in your behavior in this forum.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle