1.5.16: Filename case sensitivity problem

Hi, everybody,

I meet problem in filename case sensitivity,

1. I can "tar jxvf setup-2.457.2.2.tar.bz2" to extract the setup package in the Cygwin environment, it works well, all files can be listed out. By under XP's file explorer, the filename with upper case is showed in a different form, for example, "%4Dakefile.am" but not "Makefile.am"

It seems filename with upper case has been transformed before Cygwin store them onto NTFS.

2. I extract setup-2.457.2.2.tar.bz2 by WinRAR into another directory, then all files can be listed in XP's file explorer, but in Cygwin environment, when I issue ls command, it reported:
"ls: Makefile.in: No such file or directory"

I don't know why I get such error message. It seems Cygwin noticed there exist such filename(or it will not issue such error message), but think the filename is illegal.

3. I think Cygwin is now storing upper case filename in a different form, so I generate directory or file manually by "mkdir Abc" and "ls > Def" in the Cygwin environment(in rxvt), but now either directory or file with uppercase name can be correct displayed in XP's file explorer.

Would any one explain what happened for the filename? I've read the Cygwin User's Guide, but got no answer(It said Cygwin is case in-sensitive).

I've updated all packages to the latest by setup.

Thanks,
Zhuang Jianmin