Re: clamwin installs incompatible copy of cygwin1.dll

Larry Hall wrote:

At 01:50 PM 3/24/2005, you wrote:

I had a user install clamwin and as discussed on the list here:
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2004-09/msg00288.html
it blithely installs cygwin1.dll regardless of any installation
of cygwin.  This predictably causes problems.

Searching through the user guide and faq doesn't yield
a suggestion for solutions or workarounds and searching
the list archives yields so much material that it is
hard to focus in on what specifically to do. Obviously,
I can have the person uninstall clamwin. Is there anything
else that makes sense (and, no, uninstalling cygwin doesn't
make sense)?

The "standard" solution in these cases is to remove the cygwin1.dll from the offending 3rd party package after installing and make sure that the 3rd party package can find the already existing cygwin1.dll
in the Cygwin installation (C:\cygwin\bin by default). The easiest way to do this is to put the Cygwin installation path/bin in your
Windows path. As Chris points out, this could all be automated with some minor effort on the part of the 3rd party providers but in the
absence of such support, you have to do it manually. :-( A better question might be to ask the clamwin folks why they can't augment
their installer to accommodate an existing Cygwin installation. If
their package breaks a Cygwin installation, it's really not a Cygwin
problem per-se.

This is helpful, thank you. Being curious and trying to be minimal about changes
to the system in question, I tried removing and linking the dll in place. I first tried
"ln -s /bin/cygwin1.dll" in the clamwin/bin directory and wasn't surprised that it
didn't work. Being Unix person by background, I then tried "ln /bin/cygwin1.dll"
and that surprised me by working. I expected to see an NTFS cygwin1.dll.lnk
file in there but using "cmd.exe" and "dir" or the windows explorer looks like a
full copy of the dll file. An "ls -l" tantalizingly shows a link count of 2. "info ln"
doesn't give any cygwin-specific info. The section of the user guide located here:
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-effectively.html#id2950938
has some wording that implies this might work but isin't definitive.

My question now is, can "ln" be used to work around this issue or is that a "bad idea"?

Thanks again - Jim

PS. Since cgf is steadfast, perhaps this explanation could be added to the FAQ
entry located here that partially explains why multiple dlls is a problem:
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC50