problems starting sshd - again

I know this has been on the list previously, but I have searched the FAQ
and recent archives and cannot find the relevant references. I have
found some relating to permissions, but these don't address my issue.
Anyway, my XP system died and I have had to re-install windoze. So as
this was a fresh install I obtained a later version (1.5.12) of cygwin
than the year or so old version I had. I had sshd working with the older
version of cygwin but I do not want to regress that version. The new
version of cygwin installed fine, I then executed

$ ssh-host-config
I responded 'yes' whenever prompted (later I tried without privilege
separation with the same result)
$ cygrunsrv -I sshd -p /usr/sbin/sshd.exe
$ cygrunsrv -Q sshd
this showed the service as stopped, though nothing showed in windoze
services
$ cygrunsrv -S sshd
this gave me a windows error 1062 and reported, correctly, that the
service had not started
my event log merely shows an operation not permitted on sshd

I know there have been previous discussions of this, but can't find
them.

Any pointers? To what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Mike