RE: bad installation ?

--On 12 March 2005 09:30 +0000 John Morrison (Cygwin) wrote:

(with reply-to cygwin-apps, but I can't because I am not subscribed to that list)

Can't help there - I don't maintain mkpasswd's man page.  Personally I
didn't know that your user could be in a different domain from the one
where it is defined!  Oh well, live and learn.

Suggestions to improve things...?

It might be worth mentioning the environment variables USERNAME and USERDOMAIN as in

mkpasswd -u $USERNAME -d $USERDOMAIN

This may be useful to people who have a domain login in an environment where there is a non-trivial domain structure.

You might also think that 'mkpasswd -l -c' would give you an entry for the current domain user that has the same group id as you get by using the invocation shown above, but this is not necessarily so.

-- Owen Rees Hewlett Packard Laboratories, Bristol, UK