From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of cygwin-digest-help@cygwin.com
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 3:13 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: cygwin Digest 11 Mar 2005 14:12:41 -0000 Issue 4144
-----Original Message-----
From: Earl Chew [mailto:earl_chew@agilent.com]
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 1:39 AM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Hyperthreaded machine and cygwin

I'd like some guidance or suggestions as to how to debug a
problem that I suspect has to do with my hyperthreaded cpu machine.
The symptom is that I have two build scripts executing. The scripts
traverse directories, use make, bash, sh, perl, etc. I have two
hyperthreaded cpus running XP, and very quickly the PC locks with 25%
of the time spent running some cygwin application (mostly sh.exe, but
once it was perl.exe).
Once the machine locks, it's unusable, though it continues to spin
on the stuck application.
The only way I can recover is to power cycle the machine.
I've tried cygwin-1.5.12 and cygwin.1.5.13-1.
Earl