Re: Service not starting unless...

At 11:57 AM 2/18/2005, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Wondering if anyone out there has faced this issue. Cygwin service does not
>start on a Windows Server. Message is "Service failed to respond in a timely
>manner". Read some suggestions from the email threads and tried many with no
>success.
>
>If I check the box "Allow service to interact with desktop" it does start. I
>am trying to understand the implications of checking that box and trying to
>understand why this is happening. In my ignorance I think it could be a file
>permissions error of some sort.
>
>Any ideas are appreciated ...

I'd recommend reading and following the problem reporting guidelines at:

If you allow the service to interact with the desktop, the implication is
that it wants to run something that would be visual on your desktop.  It
also has the disadvantage that the service will terminate when the desktop
is closed (i.e. you log out), which is not usually what people expect from
a service.

Holliston, MA 01746