Re: TEXT mode, BINARY mode default file opening

Pete James wrote:

    Hello,

    I am new to the list a have only been using CYGWIN for a few months.

I would like to use the GNU compiler as a cross compiler for a Windoze
machine and I am having problems with the files being opened in BINARY
mode, I think.

Unfortunately I can't change all the files to remove the extra carriage
returns or line feeds as the files are used by other programs. So I
think my options are:

> I never have any problems with any files, regardless which mode these
> files are.  GCC doesn't care if you use \r\n or \n as line ending.

> Gerrit

1: Carriage returns (\r) and line feeds (\n) are treated as white
   space by GCC. They are ignored and should cause no problem.
2: You should NOT mount your drives in Text Mode. Input files
   will be scanned for \r\n and converted for text and binary (at
   least that was the 'old' behavior).
3: You can remove \r\n from all or any of your files. In bash-ese
   for i in *.c *.cc *.h ; do
      u2d $i
   done
4: I don't understand your reference to a cross-compiler for Windows.
   The native Cygwin compiler is for Windows. The Mingw compiler is
   also generates Windows code but it doesn't use Cygwin.dll. Look
   at 'gcc.gnu.org'.
5: You can recompile GCC but it shouldn't have any effect on your
   stated problem with \r\n. I think you need to look elsewhere.

art