Re: cygwin bughunt (FAQ alert?)

David Dindorp wrote:
> Tracking it down with GDB to cygwin_split_path() : 0x61073e06 was
easy.

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> Since cygwin isn't built with debugging symbols, the symbols that you
do
> see in gdb are basically meaningless.

Isn't there any way to compile the debugging symbols into a separate
file
that GDB could then play with if it wanted to?

Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
>> I think this has come up often enough to be a FAQ.  Joshua?
> Sure, how about this:

> either build your own debugging version by following the instructions
> at http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC102 or use a current snapshot
> from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Eep.  Totally overlooked the entire FAQ.  I apologize!!!

The snapshots page says that it's a stripped version.
Who should I trust, the snapshot page or the FAQ?

Is it considered atrocious to just replace the DLL with a snapshot one
and keep the EXE's from stock?

Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> Should we also provide an optional cygwin_debug package, with only
> an unstripped cygwin1.dll.debug ?

I for one would be eternally grateful :-).
FWIW, MySQL AB does the same with MyODBC (in the same 'package' though).
I've found it useful a number of times.

'Arigato gozaimasu' *bows*.
--david