setup problem persistent?

Hi all,

When I'm trying to make a full cygwin install on a freshly setup XP machine (1 GB RAM, 3 GHz), at some point setup.exe will start eating more and more system resources and get finally killed.

The point where this usually happens is the xorg-x11-etc package, file /etc/X11/app-defaults/Bitmap. The CPU load goes to 50% and the commit charge (visible in the windows task monitor) goes rapidly up.

There was a hint on this list to first install it without the X11 stuff. This indeed seems to work partially. However, when I install everything except the X11 section, some postinstall scripts will complain about missing DLLs. And I don't want to go through every dependency to switch those packets off as well, which doesn't seem to happen automatically.

This is not nice. I'm trying to integrate the cygwin install into an automatic (unattended) windows install procedure, and until now setup.exe's behaviour is prohibitive. I can live with the fact that there's no silent install-everything option, but I can't live with these failures.

Any suggestions for workarounds?

-Harald

PS. I'm sorry to bring this task up again. It seems that there was lots of traffic on the mailing list before. But it didn't help me resolve the issue. Maybe I simply overlooked something? But it definitely doesn't work out-of-the-box...

My setup environment: new win xp installation, sp2 with updates, cygwin was one of the first applications being installed, right after Perl (which is required by the unattended installation scripts).