Non-US keyboard (PT) bash problem

Hi!

I can't have special characters displayed correctly on bash (ç, Ç and accents). They are displayed as ? when I do a ls but they get displayed correctly if I pipe the results or send them to a file. On command line they are displayed as the respective octal value (ç is displayed as \347). Before I try the set meta-flag solution, bash was interpreting some of these symbols (hitting ç twice gave me an ls).

Also tried codepage:oem, but didn't worked. On a DOS box this characters are displayed ok. They are also displayed ok on any editor (vi, emacs, ...). This happens on console window and xterm or rxvt.

Thanks,

--Tinoco