Re: Problem with ssh and X

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Dr Christian Hicks wrote:

> I am trying to connect to a Sun UNIX box and display
> the graphics on my PC running Cygwin. I am using
> the command ssh -X -l <user-name> <remote-machine>.

Wrong list.  Redirecting to cygwin-xfree.  Please delete <cygwin at cygwin
dot com> from subsequent discussion.

> The connection is being made OK, but when I try and
> run something with X graphics I get an error message
> of the form:
> X Error (intercepted): BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
> Major Request Code : 7
> Minor Request Code : 0
> Resource ID (XID) : 58
> Error Serial Number : 47
> XView warning: invalid object (not a pointer), xv_get
> finished; X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
>   Major opcode of failed request 7 (X_ReparentWindow)
>   Resource id in failed request: 0x3a
>   Serial number of failed request: 47
>   Current serial number in output stream: 56
>
> I have a Netgear DG834G router/firewall, neither of which are
> showing anything in the log. The odd thing is that I tried
> the same thing from my work PC and it was fine. I updated
> the whole of my Cygwin installation yesterday.
>
> Any help would be very gratefully received.
>
> Thanks,
> Dr Christian Hicks

<http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#remote>, which has the
same answer that a Google search for 'BadWindow "invalid window
parameter" ssh site:cygwin.com' (or even 'BadWindow Cygwin') would have
shown...
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT