Re: $TEMP directory appears absent

I am trying to compile my sourceforge project under cygwin. I have a
fresh installation of the latest version of cygwin. Unfortunately,
something about the configuration of the TEMP directory seems to be
broken. When the programs I run try to create a temp file, they complain
that the temp directory does not exists (see below).

The TEMP directory is set to its default value:
   /cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/gmarceau/LOCALS~1/Temp

That directory exists with the usual long name:
   /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/gmarceau/Local Settings/Temp

As I understand it, cygwin is supposed to translate the former into the
later on-the-fly, but for some reason that doesn't happen.

    -- 530 gmarceau@BROWN-5315A6408 btparse-0.33 $ patch -p1 < ../btparse-0.33.diff
    patch: **** Can't create file /cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/gmarceau/LOCALS~1/Temp : No such file or directory

Also, program do not seam to respond when I change the TEMP variable. This
is running cygwin under vmware, if this affects anything.

 -- 531 gmarceau@BROWN-5315A6408 btparse-0.33 $ echo $TEMP
 /cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/gmarceau/LOCALS~1/Temp
 -- 532 gmarceau@BROWN-5315A6408 btparse-0.33 $ export TEMP=c:/DOCUME~1/gmarceau/LOCALS~1/Temp
 -- 533 gmarceau@BROWN-5315A6408 btparse-0.33 $ patch -p1 < ../btparse-0.33.diff
 patch: **** Can't create file /cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/gmarceau/LOCALS~1/Temp : No such file or directory

The problem affect other programs as well, beside patch. For instance, the
ocamlyacc compiler also break:

 -- 534 gmarceau@BROWN-5315A6408 ocamlyacc -v queryPar.mly
 ocamlyacc: f - cannot open "/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/gmarceau/LOCALS~1/Temp"

Thank for any help.