Re: /bin/make package and "vi" command

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Smagul wrote:

> Hi Igor,
>
>     I found your address through internet at Cygwin's forum.

Smagul,

Please address all Cygwin questions and problem reports to the main Cygwin
mailing list (at <cygwin at cygwin dot com>).  This way, not only will you
get access to more expertise than any one person can provide, but your
questions and answers to them will also get archived on the web for others
to see.

For your convenience, I've redirected this reply to the list, and set
Reply-To accordingly -- please make sure your mailer respects it.

>     Recently I have installed Cygwin at my PC with Windows ME. The
> commands "make" and "vi" do not work. At Cygwin's forum you answered
> that the "make " command is not found because the /bin/make package was
> not there.

Not quite.  The "make" command (or the /bin/make executable) isn't there
because the "make" package (that contains the /bin/make executable) isn't
installed by default.

> If you have it, can you, please, e-mail it to me? I may
> accept e-mails of up to 2 Mb size. Or can you show the web address,
> where can I download it? How can I build it into Cygwin?

Cygwin packages should be installed using the Cygwin setup tool (go to
<http://cygwin.com/> and follow the "Install or update now! (using
setup.exe)" link -- the one with the black-and-green Cygwin icon).  Once
you're running setup, open the Devel category and select the "make"
package.  All the packages that are required for make to run will be
selected automatically, but you may want to select some other development
packages that you'll probably need, such as "gcc".

>     As to the "vi" editor, I downloaded the vim package. I do not know
> whether it is helpful or not. To instal vim, I need the command make to
> work. If you know other ways how to activate the "vi ", I would be
> happy, if you let me know.
>
> Many many thanks
> Smagul

Again, you'll need to select it using the setup tool.  Predictably, it's
in the "Editors" category.  You can select both "make" and "vim" during
the same setup run.

HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT