very slow/nonfunctional updatedb?

I think this problem is correlated to my installing Norton GoBack in
their SystemWorks 2005 Premier edition.  However, I do not seem to
be sufferring any great slowdown on other Cygwin utilities.

gupdatedb usually takes 18-19 minutes to run on my ThinkPad/XPPro.
The current job is taking over 2 hours, and still nothing has been
written to /usr/var/locatedb.n, or to /tmp, var/tmp, etc.

Thanks.,

Lester