Re: resolv.h test proposal

Gerrit P. Haase schrieb:
Thread context: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-10/msg01111.html
Stepan schrieb:

Hello Reini,
On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 02:49:51PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
So I take the liberty to forward it to the bug report address.

Many thanks for doing this for us.

nothing to be really grateful for.

What's really needed, is to write the AC_HEADER_RESOLV macro.
The existing AC_HEADER_* macros can serve as a template.

It would be nice if you or Gerrit or someone else could invest the time
to do it and post the patch to autoconf-patches@gnu.org .

I'm sorry, I don't know enough about autoconf / m4 programming to
integrate this into autoconf.

I just use this for acinclude.m4 or put it in a file named resolv_h.m4
under /usr/share/aclocal now:

# AC_HEADER_RESOLV
# Call AC_HEADER_RESOLV after this in configure.ac:
# AC_CHECK_HEADERS([arpa/nameser.h netinet/in.h sys/socket.h sys/types.h])
# ---------------
AC_DEFUN([AC_HEADER_RESOLV],
[AC_CHECK_HEADERS([resolv.h], [], [],
      [[#if HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H
        #  include <sys/types.h>
        #endif
        #ifdef HAVE_NETINET_IN_H
        #  include <netinet/in.h>   /* inet_ functions / structs */
        #endif
        #ifdef HAVE_ARPA_NAMESER_H
        #  include <arpa/nameser.h> /* DNS HEADER struct */
        #endif
        #ifdef HAVE_SYS_SOCKET_H
        #  include <sys/socket.h> /* DNS HEADER struct */
        #endif
      ]]
)])# AC_HEADER_RESOLV

I call AC_HEADER_RESOLV in configure.ac and this works for me(tm).

And now I have to persuade clamav folks to use this new macro where they even brought down their whole autoconf/libtool setup by overriding the most useful macros from aclocal.m4 in acinclude.m4 (some LIBTOOL overrides) and creating their own way of AC_CANONICAL_HOST and some more goodies???
Well it's still below v1.0, maybe that's why.

I'd better fix it upstream so they'll get it without any notice.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/