RE: non-interactive cygwin setup

[snip]
> >I thought if a GUI app called printf it generally caused a
> console to
> >be opened for it.  Maybe that's only with msvcrt.  In any case, the
> >fact is that it is being run from a cmdline and so it certainly can
> >communicate with the console.  The presence of command-line
> options in
> >argc/argv could be taken as a fairly strong hint that it was
> being run
> >from a shell rather than an icon.  And there's always
> "isatty (1)" if
> >you really really want to be sure.
>
> This is a windows limitation.  GUI apps (apps created with
> -mwindows) can't send output to or receive input from the
> console.  Of course, a GUI can interpret command line
> information.  It just cannot send output to the console that
> started it.
>
> You could use AllocConsole to create a separate console which
> the GUI could then use, however.

Here's a maybe-less-icky way to do it.  Have two exes, one "setup.exe" which
is a 100% command-line program that normally just spawns "winsetup.exe", the
current GUI setup, and goes away.  Give it "--help", and it prints help in
the regular command-line way and exits.  Yeah, two exes, but worse tragedies
have happened.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle