RE: FW: question about cygwin OpenGL

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, John P. Sutter wrote:

> [...]

If the x.org fork of XFree86 is acceptable, then...

> which as far as I know is not included in the standard

Yes, it is.

> OpenGL library,

No, you said the GLX extension.  That is a feature of an X server, not of
the OpenGL library (ie. -lGL).

> but must be compiled with it. I thought that this would
> require the original source code for OpenGL. If I am wrong, and only the
> OpenGL binaries available from cygwin are needed, I would be thrilled!

Step back.  What *exactly* are you trying to accomplish in the end?

Here is the Cygwin OpenGL roadmap:

If your application is X11 based:
(This is OT for this list.  See redirection request below.)
The default Cygwin X server supports GLX via Mesa software emulation.
Their is an experimental version of the Cygwin X server that supports GLX
w/ hardware acceleration, but it is *experimental* and unfinished.
Compile with -I /usr/X11R6/include
Link w/ -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lglut (X11 based freeglut) -lGLU -lGL

If your application is purely glut based:
You can freely choose either path :-).

If your application is/can be Windows GUI based:
Full hardware acceleration is supported via a Windows pass through.
Link -lglut32 (Windows original glut port) -lglu32 -lopengl32
See /usr/share/doc/opengl-1.1.0/README.txt

Does that help?  Please send any X11 related follow-ups to the
cygwin-xfree list.  Thanks.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer