Re: ALSA for Cygwin searched

Gerrit P. Haase schrieb:
Reini Urban wrote:
Gerrit P. Haase schrieb:

who knows if there is a Cygwin version available somewhere?

I know because I'm working on the cygwin port for pure-data.
There's none, and as they said it was non-sense to port that to windows. For them.

Nonsense may be fun;)

They use MMIO on windows:
  http://cnmat.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OpenSoundControl/
  Win32-port raf <at> interaccess.com
Hmm.

Then there's also:
  http://www.liquid-reality.de/main/projects/esound
This is cool.

Note: pd folks are switching from ALSA to JACK.

What is puredata exactly? I'm interested in lossless compression techniques like FLAC and the like.

no. compression is a completely different thing.

http://puredata.info/

puredata is really really cool. partially development happens here in my hometown. we just had a big congress with all the developers here.

puredata ("pd") is the default real-time sound (and video) creation package. derived from the commercial package "max" (at IRCAM) which needed special hardware then. (nextstep boxes with some I868 float co-prozessors).
beeps, samplers, synthesizers, voice synthesizing, video dj-ing, ...
but you can also do graphical programming without any sound or video.

e.g. the falsett voice in this movie ... name forgotten - Farinelli: il castrato ... was created by puredata (or max, which is essentially the same code-base). you don't need special AT&T or other half commercial voice synthesizers.
(http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/misc/farinelli.htm)

We'll see how to get sound for GNOME.

I'll have sound on cygwin soon with pd. :)
well, we already have. but it's hard to convert the braindamaged debian packaging layout (of puredata) to cygwin. Sorry but it is true.
The debian maintainer günther admitted it.
And we have some outstanding nameclashes with case-sensitivity with third party extensions. There are dozens of extension developers, which all invent their own names. Thats why the conference.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/