Re: problem with finding case-sensitive filenames when running DOS batch command with bash shell

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, DFong wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running cygwin bash shell and have set
> the parameters
>
> ~/.bashrc
>
> shopt -s nocaseglob
>
> ~/.inputrc
>
> set completion-ignore-case on
>
> but I'm still having problems with running a DOS batch command that will
> not be case-sensitive.
>
> x.bat
> dir /s /b filename.txt (I want it to match with name like fileNAME.txt
> and return filename.txt)
>
> If I run this x.bat under cygwin bash shell
> the return from dir /s /b command is "file not found".
>
> What else do I need to set in DOS or bash shell environment to allow
> "dir /s /b" to make the directory search for filename to be
> case-insensitive?
>
> David

Bash doesn't know about batch files, so when you attempt to run one, it
interprets it as a shell script.  By coincidence, there is a "dir" command
under Cygwin (a form of 'ls'), so what it ends up doing is looking for
files named "s" and "b" in your root directory.

You can confirm this in many ways, the simplest being to remove spaces
between "dir" and the switches (i.e., use "dir/s/b").  This shouldn't
affect the batch file (since cmd.exe treats "/" as an argument separator),
but will produce an error in bash.

Use "cmd /c x.bat" or "command.com /c x.bat" to run batch files.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw