Re: Known Issues: document missing POSIX compliance and other unexpected behaviour

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 05:11:03PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
>I found no document where missing POSIX functionality is listed
>and where other non-POSIX but expected typical UNIX functionality and/or
>behaviour are different or missing. The user guide is a bit short on that.

The only way such a document would be useful would be if it was
rigorously maintained.

You show the reason why below when you quote out-of-date parts of the
existing documentation.

It is certainly worthwhile to sweep through the docs and get everything
up-to-date, though.

>select():
>  see http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/highlights.html#OV-HI-SELECT
>  TODO

This points to a page which explains (in an outdated manner)
implementation details of select.  I don't see how it applies.

>processes
>---------
>See the user-guide on fork, ipc, COFF, ...

COFF?

>fork:
>see http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC74 and
>http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/highlights.html#OV-HI-PROCESS
>
>PID's:
>Unfortunately cygwin must use seperate PID's than the
>underlying windows PID's.
>http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/highlights.html#OV-HI-PROCESS

The documentation is out of date.  This is not true.

I think I'll stop here.  You're showing that it would be worthwhile to
go through the document and look for stuff that is out of date.

I guess that would be a job for Corinna, Pierre, and me, since
no one else seems to understand these issues.  If someone else wants
to take a stab at it, however, please feel free.

cgf