Re: Request for a version/ revision/ release number for the whole cygwin release/ distribution

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 06:05:06PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Peter A. Castro wrote:
>>to keep up with the flow.  Yes, it may be a little painful if you
>>haven't refreshed in a while (say, from the "b20" days :), but you will
>>have
>
>Ah.  Cygwin B20.1.  Man, those were the days.  Cygwin was practically
>perfect in every way, bugfree, and featureful.  It even made coffee!
>
>I miss B20.  <sniff>
>
>'Course, apparently the guy who started this thread misses B20 too --
>those were the days of a single monolithic cygwin release with a single
>version number.  If it wasn't in the full.exe installer, it wasn't
>available (not that you'd want anything else once you tasted your first
>cup of B20 coffee!) -- unless you went to disreputable third party
>sites like cygutils.  :-)

And releases sometimes didn't happen for more than a year so if there
was a problem with bash, you had to wait for the whole cygwin release
to be respun.

The full.exe's were generated by a guy at Cygnus who knew InstallShield
and we had to wait for his time to be freed up before a new release would
be made available.  Of course, I knew how to run InstallShield, too, but
I didn't know the secret handshake that would allow one to upload things
to the web site.

Eventually, I sent email to the CEO asking if we couldn't loosen things
up a little.  He said, yes, we got a volunteer to write a new installer,
and the rest is history.  Of course, marketing said "wait a minute" a
couple of months later but the source was already out of the bag by that
point.

cgf