Re: Request for a version/ revision/ release number for the whole Cygwin release/ distribution

On 10/01/2004 at 12:31:34 AM, cygwin-owner@cygwin.com wrote:
Every O/S and application
I've used had a release number for the whole thing; Cygwin should as
well.
--- end of excerpt ---

At a minimum, I think that's quite an oversimplification and perhaps
factually untrue?

Have you used a Linux distribution for example? There's a single release
number, but its really
rather meaningless, because the first thing you do is install updates to
various packages (possibly
including the kernel).

That's very similar to cygwin. You have a base version of the cygwin DLL,
and version number
for each package.
I suspect that the best you'll have is to explicitly test and ship your
product with a specific
version of the packages that you use.