Re: Problems on Itanium: Found the Cause, What's Next?

Hi, Corinna Vinschen, you wrote

It also works fine on a x86_64 machine in 32 bit mode.

Yes, I've checked it too - it really works on Intel EM64T (didn't test it on AMD64).

No, because this would also exclude x86_64 machines.

Probably, a better approach is needed. It is possible to check PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE envvar but it looks a little clumsy.

Actually I'm somewhat in doubt that CreateFileMapping/MapVieOfFile
functionality should actually be so broken on the ia64 platform.
Are you really sure that the culprit isn't somewhere else?
Your test application uses a very common idiom, so I'd guess that
a lot more applications would fail miserably on ia64 in 32 bit mode.

Belieive it or not, it is! I've double checked it (I mean I've done that on 2 computers :-) ). It is easily reproducible with cygwin - any malloc for a big memory chunk causes segmentation fault (if I understand correctly malloc requests for big memory areas lead to mmap call).

I've posted the bug report to public.win32.programming.kernel and private.windowsserver_64bit msft mailing lists - no answer so far...

With best regards, Alex Alexandrov. E-mail: alex1_alexandrov2@fromru3.com4 (remove numbers before e-mailing me)