Re: Professionally produced Cygwin CD?

I might be able to do something along those lines.  I have been
keeping a mirror and while I pretty much dropped the whole idea of
doing a mass run on it (due to the rate it goes out of date) I can do
it.  The distro will be the contents of a mirror including mailing
list archives complete to this day.  It will also contain all the
packages currently available on a standard cygwin mirror.  The only
difference is that you will be installing from a dvd.  Yes.  To get it
all you need to use one.  To mirror cygwin it takes almost 2GB to do
so.  Email me directly at shinji257@gmail.com and I will see what I
can arrange.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:15:14 +0100, fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net
<fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net> wrote:
> > I do desperately need a full install of Cygwin
> > on my PC.
> > Things will go easier with my sysadmin
> > if I can hand him a professional-looking CD
> > and say "install this".
>
> A full install won't fit on one CD. Including all .src files and all of
> [prev] and [test] as well as [curr] you need about 2.0-2.2 GB under release/
> just for the Cygwin resource.
>
> A while ago (12 months or more) I know from experience that it was both
> possible and practical to fit all the [curr] non-.src files on to a CD and
> fully install from that. But I suspect that the Cygwin provision is now so
> great that even that is now no longer possible: too tight a squeeze.
>
> Remarkably, growing the Cygwin resource into a working Cygwin system also
> requires about 2 GB.
>
> So: it is really not possible to offer your sysadmin one CD and say "explode
> that" (a release+setup CD) or "copy that" (a copy of a Cygwin image). Nor do
> I think the latter could be shrunk as a .tgz, but I suppose anything is
> possible.
>
> By the way you say "my PC". Why are you involving anybody else at all?
>
> As a different topic entirely:
>
> A tailored non-full resource (release+setup) could be made to fit on one CD.
> Also, there are references on this list (
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-07/msg01117.html and others ) to a
> working portable CD system that works off CD on any Windows machine you care
> to slot the thing into. There is some effort required to make this CD, but
> it too requires a decision about What To Leave Out. This does not sound like
> what you want, either.
>
> Fergus
>

> --

Robert Pendell
shinji257@gmail.com

Freeipods.com & FreeFlatScreens.com Conga Lines
http://shinji.chaosnet.org/phpBB2