Re: Strange behaviours: attributable to XP SP2?

At 11:55 AM 8/31/2004, you wrote:
>There have been two strange changes in behaviour/ response/ output that I
>have noticed recently, and that I can only attribute to the installation of
>XP SP2, since that is all that has altered on my system. Has anybody else
>who has installed SP2 noticed this, or similar, or anything else (or
>nothing)?
>
>I had been using the latest cygwin1.dll snapshot but reverted to the current
>cygwin1.dll when I noticed this. The behaviours remain evident. They are
>awfully annoying.
>
>1. setup: the column width allowed for "Current" is now greatly increased
>and without tediously dragging the column border leftwards or panning the
>viewed section rightwards, the only viable approach is to operate setup
>using full screen. Otherwise, the columns to the right of "Current" ("New",
>etc) are occasionally non-empty but invisible, so quite what new users think
>they are being told/ asked to do, I cannot imagine. If this really is a
>consequence of installing SP2 (rather than just me failing to cope properly
>with some unconnected alteration in  presentation) then it's a bit of a
>blow.

'setup.exe' is not a Cygwin program so it would not be affected by a
'cygwin1.dll' snapshot or other version.  What version are you running?
Perhaps you want to try the debug version available as a setup snapshot
(<http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/>).

>2. cygcheck -c used to present its output
>    package version OK
>or maybe occasionally
>    package version Incomplete
>very conveniently, package by package, line after line. Now after installing
>SP2 either blank lines alternate, or the word OK is presented below the
>information package..version.. (though as far as I can tell there is no ^J
>causing the line break). Again, it seems to me that something has changed --
>and not for the better -- in XP's grasp of useable screen width.

I'm not sure what's going on here but I can say things are fine on this
end *without* SP2.  This statement is not meant to imply anything about
the value or correctness of SP2.  Just simply that I can't reproduce the
problem you mention with the information provided on systems I have (which
aren't running SP2).  But something else could be missing that would pin-
point the problem, SP2 or otherwise.  Maybe it makes sense to start at the
beginning: <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>?

Holliston, MA 01746